10 June 2009

odds and ends

The school year has ended, and seminary with it. I feel it was a successful year. The last impression I have is of Thomas H. passing off not only the remains of his 25 scripture mastery passages, but also going about five deep into next year's curriculum. I'm so proud that he did it. The last memory I have of seminary is of one of my students succeeding in a meaningful way...what a pleasing last memory to have!

Since the school year has ended, I'm busily getting myself into too much birthday mode - too much of everything, even good things, can wear one out. I've started exercising again. Borrowed the P90X DVDs from a friend of mine. Those are some work. But I've gained three pounds in three weeks and added an inch to my chest. Those are lofty returns for a skinny guy like me. I do find it hard to eat enough of the right kind of calories. I started off using myfitnesspal.com, and I'm about to go back to it after a week off from tracking. I just hate the constant eating...I have to take in 3300 or so calories a day to gain weight, and limit my sugar intake while doing it. I can easily hit 3300...avoiding soda and junk foods to do so is the hard part. When I don't blow any of it on "empty" calories, I feel like I'm stuffing my face all day.

I'm happy to be home and seeing Maple and the kids more often. The little ones are on a bike riding kick this week, and Ash has learned to ride for real now. The younger ones are properly jealous and working toward the same abilities themselves. Hickory has insisted on the removal of his training wheels. Apple has learned to climb trees (with help), and constantly pesters me to go outside so she can climb. All of which sure beats playing the Wii. I love them all.

My Father's Day "gift" from my wife (her lack of input duly noted) was a year long pass to Page Belcher and Mohawk Park golf courses. 36 holes at each place. About half of the Mohawk layouts are good, and all of Page's facility is decent, so that's roughly three courses for a full year for $450. I spent just over $1000 in green's fees last year, so the pass is a welcome opportunity to play at more affordable rates. And I don't have to feel bad about playing a quick nine holes, as the cost is already sunk.

Softball has started up, and we're 4-0. I'm MUCH more physically fit this year than in years past. I'm feeling really, really good. My range is coming back, enough that I'm comfortable playing shortstop again, even. I'm never hurt or sore after games anymore, which is so nice. Being constantly hurt the last two summers was not fun at all.

Maple has been having more time for friends, which makes her happier. They have a girl's day or night every couple of weeks. I'm glad to see her making progress and enjoying herself so much when returning from their company. She also recently reached one of her fitness goals, and is down to her lowest weight in quite some time. I am proud of her! :D When it comes to fitness, being educated about what works and what does not is an important thing. She added some calorie tracking to her plan, and suddenly got off the plateau she was on by using the information wisely. Knowledge is power. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment