21 August 2009

P90X 90th Day Results

Chest/Back (jacket size): +3.25"
Waist: -1"
Thighs: +1.75"
Calves: +1"
Upper arm: +1.5"
Forearm: +1"

Weight: +11 lbs, 171 to 182

Body fat estimate (caliper method): 13%

In short, it works. I still look like me, just a little more filled out.

The biggest changes come in the last 30 days of the program, and I was hampered by being out of town frequently and developing plantar fasciitis. I'm going to keep going for another 30 days to see what my "proper" results would be.

Program review wise, I'm pleased with it. The workouts are still hard to do even now, mostly because I've increased weight and reps to match my abilities. Here's my observations:
  • It's the a good season-to-taste workout, because those of lower ability levels can simply do what they can, while those in great shape can push for more. It's definitely a general fitness program, not something geared toward "just" weight loss or "just" muscle building.
  • Guys who are only looking to bulk up are going to be disappointed. A guy looking to get in overall better shape will be happy. Again, think FIT. There's still some ways to squeeze more bulk out of the program, but it has to be modified a little bit to accentuate that desire - and it's still not the same as hitting the gym specifically for heavy lifting work.
  • Women though...that's really the largest target audience, I think. Take a woman who is in good physical shape already, put her through this, and she'll get HOT in no time. The balance of cardio, stretching, and weight resistance can easily be modified to get really, really good results for someone looking to get toned with a little bit more muscle while burning a lot of fat.
  • As always, it's generally much easier to drop fat than to add muscle. This thing will burn fat if the diet of the person using it is right. Gaining weight, as I did, is A LOT of work.
The three things I added to be successful:
  1. Used myfitnesspal.com to track caloric intake, broken down by fat/protein/carbs.
  2. Protein supplement - switched to BSN's Syntha-6, which really, honestly, tastes good. Every other protein I've tried has tasted horrible.
  3. Twinlabs amino fuel. Recent addition, but I get less fatigue the next day when I take it ~15-30 minutes before a workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment