01 January 2009

debt and dave

I was glad for a day off work today. I am in need of several more, but instead I will put my head down and work.

I was thinking quite a bit today. It's been almost a year since we finished our debt free plan, due much to the inspiration of my family and the messages of Marvin Ashton and Dave Ramsey, and the support of my bride. This has been the most peaceful year of my life. I believe I have done more good and made a better self this year than in many others combined, and I believe that to be due to the lack of conflict I feel in my life.

Previously, I felt as all of us do, that there is an either/or mode to life. Either you can be with your family, or you can make enough money. Either you can do what you want and expect the consequence of lack of work (and compensation), or you can work hard but get less enjoyment. And as with all things, there is a balance to be struck, even now. But I have to choose a lot less frequently now. I can leave consulting behind and enjoy my family and teach seminary for teenagers and still have more than enough to meet my needs. It's because I control my money now, rather than letting my choices with money enslave my future labor. Debt is a claim on future human labor. Being debt free means I am not forced to labor.

I wish more families at church (and elsewhere! This is something I desire for everyone) would catch the vision of being debt free and the peace that it brings. During the last six months, we have depleted much of our savings because of the happenings of life - helping family, repairing sewer lines, and that kind of thing. Thousands upon thousands have passed through to another destination, but I felt the peace of having prepared. So often we forget that the bad stuff is part of the plan, too - it still hurts, but after scratching the check, it is forgotten.

Lora shared a scripture with me yesterday. It applies to many things in life, but also readily to this topic. A piece of it says the following:

2 Nephi 9:41
...Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him...

So often we find The Straight and Narrow to be The Scary and Hard and Demanding and Not Fun and Why Bother. But it is not. It is plain. It is laid before us. All that is left is the choosing. Being debt free is plain. It requires sacrifice and effort and choice(s) to follow, but it lieth in a straight course before us.

Dave Ramsey - www.daveramsey.com
Chris Martenson - www.chrismartenson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment