01 January 2009

i am a crazy golfer

I am one of those crazy golfer people.

Several friends and I have a tradition of golf on New Year's Day. Some of the courses around here are closed that day, but the pro shop will quietly concede to letting groups play without supervision and without carts. And so we did. Golf is meant to be played without carts anyway - one of my peeves.

Tee time this morning: 35 degrees, with a 15mph wind. Felt like 25. Not the worst, but definitely no picnic. I enjoyed it. But...

I also had a new top secret secret weapon: my Under Armour style cold weather undies (fleece lined compression pants and shirt). Mine are by Starter (Nike), bought on the cheap at Walmart. I love them! Definitely a great golf investment. At 45*, I should be able to play in comfort and without many extra layers. Extra layers (especially thicker ones) are doom for a golf swing. Today's lower half was just the compression pants and a pair of jeans. Upper half was the undershirt, a turtleneck, and a long sleeve golf shirt. I wore a fleece beanie and took my jacket off for shots - as it warmed up to 40, I left it off.

So I shot an ugly +6 that should have been closer to +3, save for poor putting and general freezy butt coldness - the greens were still frozen early on. Warm undies can't fix putting. :(

Lora says the undies give me the look of a really hot woman's butt. I'm not sure what to make of that. At least I have one now, where I didn't growing up. :\

No comments:

Post a Comment