27 January 2009

seeking questions


Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtweZxNGk1Y

Nick Vujicic is an Australian without arms and without legs. Not with non-functioning limbs, but without limbs entirely.

One of my most vivid memories as a small child (not more than ten, because I remember we lived in Tahlequah when the event happened) was seeing a man without one arm (just a "flipper") play pool. We were at a party. A really crowded party. And I was amazed by this man, just transfixed, watching him balance the pool cue between his flipper shoulder and his chin, whilst shooting with his good arm. He was the best pool player I'd ever seen. Not saying much, cause I wasn't exactly a pool hall regular. But still, he was the first evidence I'd seen of a man overcoming something quite that big.

So here's Nick. He has no arms. He has no legs. Just a little flipper below one hip. And yeah, he can do cool physical stuff despite his limitations. Turns on lights with the aid of a putter. Goes swimming. Climbs stairs. But I'm not eight years old anymore. I've seen a one armed man play pool. I'm all jaded and worldly now. :) But Nick does something I haven't seen...not in many able bodied men, even. Nick freely bears testimony. Nick has an obvious love for his fellow man, for God who allowed his mortal life to be physically limited this way. Look at his face, and see a man at peace despite his nothingness before the world.

There are many excellent lessons to take from his testimony. I've heard new things with each listening. Among those things though, is that the seeking questions of his heart led him to God.

"What kind of hope and future can I have?
How can I hold my wife's hand?
How can I dance with my bride on our wedding night?
How will I be able to hold my children when they're crying?"

Those are seeking questions. They are not accusatory. They are not filled with blame. He had moved past his eight year old self, too - if God would not heal him, he would accept that. Not without a fight, I'm sure. He moved to the solving of the problems his condition presented. His first questions were seeking questions. How will the Lord do this? How will he accomplish his work with me? How will he keep and prosper me?

Clearly, those answers bring him peace. They lead him to proclaim despite his condition and despite no physical healing, "I stand before you today as a miracle of God."

Not because his life is different. He still only has a little flipper.

Not because God healed him when he was eight. This is no mere physical miracle.

Rather, because "circumstances do not need to change...its our heart that needs to be filled with the Holy Spirit." With love. With understanding, gained spiritually, of the plans God has for him and that they will come to pass.

The uncertainties of how, and what, have been replaced with the certainties of IS. WILL BE. AM. Each is reflected in his language.

True, earnest, seeking questions directed to God are what brought him there.

I saw another quote, this time on the ABC 20/20 website from an interview he granted with them last year. From ABC: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4531209

"The unanswered prayers he made as a child haven't left his mind, nor has he stopped praying occasionally for arms and legs.

'I totally surrender [the healing miracle] to God. I would be obviously elated if I had arms and legs right now ... but I know that God's in full control. And do I believe that He can give me arms and legs? Yes, sir ... The world doesn't understand how you can have these two parallel thoughts, where you can say, on one hand ... 'yes, I believe in the miracle,' and on the other ... say, 'You know what? I'm fully content. I'm not discouraged if He doesn't give me arms and legs.''

'That's where I am. That's the freedom and victory I have. I believe in a God who can do all things, but if He chooses not to give me arms and legs, I know it's for the better. And I may not understand it, but all I need to know is that He's going to carry me through, that there is a purpose for it.'"

Fits very nicely with the teachings of Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Nice. You should teach seminary or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I have a comment. You can be my hottie comment groupie. :)

    ReplyDelete